As a self-employed carer, it is important that you keep a record of your income and expenditure. HMRC guidance states that any self-employed individual is required to retain proof of income and expenses for up to 6 years.
It is important to know which expenses are allowable for tax relief. For guidance, we have enclosed a list of typical expenses to give you an idea of what is allowable. Many people use their smartphone to photograph expenses and file on their computer.
- Travel and subsistence such as public transport and lunchtime sandwich and coffee
- Motor expenses such as: fuel, insurance, MOT and road tax, parking/tolls
- Cleaning of work clothes
- Protective clothing – for example: non-slip nursing shoes
- Professional training and courses
- Journals, periodicals and magazines related to your work
- Work equipment
- Smartphone and computer
- Accountants fees
- Professional subscriptions
- Renewal of practising certificates
- Printing, postage and stationery
- Other work-related expenses